Wyoming, My new Home on the Range

 Sunset on the National Elk Refuge, home to some 6,000-7,000 wintering elk

Sunset on the National Elk Refuge, home to some 6,000-7,000 wintering elk

Am using this page as a place to reflect on landscape and the human and natural forces that shape it. Mostly I’ll be writing about design, planning, and conservation although other topics may also sneak their way in. (Will be writing about music over at the newly revived the b part...)

Though I’ve lived all over the US, this is my first time in the intermountain west -- and my first time living so close to truly wild places. The Teton Mountains, the youngest range in the Rockies, provide a striking backdrop to human settlement in this region, rising 7,000 feet from the valley floor, which already sits more than a mile high above sea level. I live a five minute walk from the National Elk Refuge and the Bridger Teton National Forest. Here in Teton County, 97% of the land is federally owned -- National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Department of Fish and Wildlife, etc. The remaining 3% of the land is what I am tasked, as a planner, to help protect.  The interplay of conservation and development is at the heart of my new position here -- protecting water bodies, wetlands, and wildlife habitat from the impacts of development.

Lots to learn, lots to explore! Onward and upward.